BS Public Administration
Introduction Course Outlines Course Roadmap
Government of any kind affects most human activities in many different ways. For this reason, political scientists argue that government should not be studied by itself, but should be studied along with its impact on society. In the contemporary world, the need for effective, informed and neutral policy makers and public servants is ever increasing as the issues pertaining to government are becoming more complex in nature. Through combined theory, policy, practice, and research of all dimensions related to the structure, functions and dynamics of governance and society, UMT proudly offers one-of-its-kind degree in the country.
Commencing in fall 2013, BS Public Administration is an inter-disciplinary degree encompassing several academic disciplines. The program aims to strengthen the skills and knowledge base of students and prepare them for successful careers through rigorous academic training and real life simulations. Additionally, the program will enrich the students with a vast array of hard as well soft skills which will enable them to devise effective and practical solutions and build consensus. A special emphasis will be laid on the Pakistani context, drawing upon conditions both domestic as well as external that shape the dynamics of public policy and politics vis-à-vis citizenry, society and interstate relations.
Our graduates will be equipped to address modern day challenges by becoming a constructive part of the resolution processes and mechanisms within and outside the government through a systematic understanding of the governmental and social institutions, identifying areas of focus, assessing the prospects for reform, and affecting change.
- Duration: 4 years
- Program credit hours: 132
- Program Type: Morning
- Semesters: 8
- Minimum 50% marks in Matriculation and Intermediate / A-Level or equivalent
- UMT Entry Test
Through successful completion of this degree, the graduates will be enabled to:
- Identify and understand major governance problems in Pakistan
- Map out the complex landscape of various government agencies and officials and their roles, as well as their interaction with other institutions, in the formation, implementation and evaluation of policy.
- Understand various policy instruments and service delivery mechanisms used in policy implementation and the factors shaping them.
- Communicate effectively and present innovative and unique but feasible solutions through the application of various tools, skills, and knowledge learnt during the coursework, practical assignments and field work.
- Through critical analysis of various choices, arrive at the optimal solutions.
- Actualize their full potential through effective management skills and strategic planning by gaining valuable insights proven to work in a “real world” environment.
- Be the leader in every endeavor of their lives through effectively demonstrating qualities of an “agent of change”, resolving conflict, and be a source of inspiration for others.
- Exhibit relentless commitment to the principles of social justice and social responsibility in their professional affairs and manifest a commitment to positive change in society.
Specialization is vital in the contemporary job market. A degree in “Public Administration” opens up a wide choice of jobs in Federal, Provincial, and Local governments as well as in non-governmental organizations and the corporate sector. Following are some sectors where our graduates can find potential job opportunities:
- Civil Services of Pakistan (via CSS, PMS, etc.)
- Corporate Sector
- UN Agencies
- USAID, AUSAID, DFID UK, CBI EU, CIDA Canada etc.
- Non-Governmental and Non-Profit organizations
- Electronic and Print Media
- Research Institutes
- Global, regional, and local think tanks
- INGO’s working with/inside Pakistan
- Teaching Profession